1) Upon arrival in Bogota, if no one is meeting you it is better to get an official taxi. In the airport there is a special area where you’ll be given a coupon with the sum your should pay depending on your route. Payment is made according to the counter.
2) Don’t leave your things unattended.
3) It is chilly in Bogota, especially in the evening, so don’t forget a jacket or a sweater.
4) The safest regions of the country are Bogota (though not all city districts), Cartagena, the department of Santander, Amazonia (not all - only the region of Leticia), and the coffee region. It is better to learn about the safety before travelling to other regions.
5) The water from the water supply system in Bogota is suitable for drinking, but in all other regions use the bottled water.
6) It is better not to travel in Colombia by car at night, or at any time into regions with doubtful safety.
7) While travelling by car do not get off the government routes. They usually are guarded by the army and police, and travel by them is not dangerous.
8) It is possible to pay in stores and restaurants with local currency (Colombian peso) or by credit cards. US dollars or Euro are taken almost nowhere, except some tourist places. It’s better to change your money in an exchange center (‘casa de cambio’), found in the airport, auto stations, and the commercial centers. As for foreign currency, it is better to have US dollars.
9) Leave tips is accepted, but not required. In restaurants or hotels the size of the tip depends on your generosity, but usually it does not exceed two or three thousand pesos (1.5 dollars). Very frequently in restaurants, a tip is already included on your bill. This will be 10% or less of the total, but if you are not satisfied with the service, you are not obligated to pay the sum of tip.
10) The majority of Colombians do not speak English, with the exception of highly educated people, workers at expensive hotels, and some restaurant staff. Therefore it’s better to have on reserve several of the most common Spanish phrases.